Do you know that old or faulty refrigerators, washing machines and desktop computers can be given a new lease of life, if properly disposed of and recycled?
A NEA survey revealed that 60% of consumers are uncertain or do not know how to recycle them. Yet Singaporeans generate around 60,000 tonnes of e-waste yearly. If not managed well, this could cause harm to our health and the environment in the long run.
To help tackle this, Singapore Environment Council (SEC) and StarHub believe that the young generation too, has a crucial role in driving behavioural and mindset change. The inaugural SEC-StarHub E-Waste Challenge is thus created to mobilise youth to generate awareness and take concrete action to minimise e-waste.
Schools are encouraged to opt for this initiative and submit details (with supporting documents) under Part B of their SGA application. To sign up for the E-Waste Challenge, click here.
Participating schools are required to work on two parts, namely:
1. Help Peers Understand What E-Waste Is
Suggested topics include: “Harmful effects of improper disposal of e-waste”, “Ways to minimise e-waste”, etc.
2. Garner Support to Collect the Most Amount of E-Waste
For example, you can conduct a recycling drive within your community or network.
Schools with the most amount of e-waste collected stand a chance to get together with our partners on a Green Learning Journey!
Terms and Conditions:
- Campaign will run from 13 May to 13 August 2019.
- SGA-participating pre-schools, primary schools, secondary schools, junior colleges / centralised institutes and Institutes of Higher Learning (IHLs) are eligible to take part.
- Each school can only enter the competition once.
Collection of E-Waste:
Schools that are equipped with StarHub’s RENEW bins can arrange for collection by calling the hotline at the sides of the bin (6635 3639) whenever your bin is full. As per RENEW’s guidelines, the notice period for collection is five working days.
Schools without a RENEW bin can either:
(1) Pre-register with SEC to have your e-waste collected, for free, by DHL for delivery to TES-AMM Singapore Pte Ltd (i.e. TES). To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and send in an estimate of the volume of the e-waste collected, such as a picture or description. Bulky items will not be accepted. Do note that slots are limited and are on first-come first-served basis.
(2) Deliver e-waste collected to TES (9 Benoi Sector, Singapore 629844) between 6 August and 10 August, excluding 9 August. Collection times are between 9am to 12pm, and 1pm to 5pm. For bulky e-waste items, you may contact TES at 1800-8-837-266 for a toll-free consultation. Please note that TES may charge a collection fee.