Did you know that over 467 million PET bottles are used in Singapore each year? That’s the size of 94 Olympic-sized swimming pools!
Consumption is still high as most drinking water is available in PET plastic packaging. According to SEC’s study on plastic consumption in Singapore, only up to 37% of the sample population are actively recycling PET bottles.
Most clear bottles have this symbol which indicates that it is made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) material.
PET bottles are 100% recyclable as it can be recycled to make new products, such as fabric for clothes and even into new PET bottles. To recycle PET bottles, all it takes is 3 easy steps – Rinse, dry & recycle!
In collaboration with Coca-Cola and SembWaste, SEC launched the One Less Plastic Campaign, a community outreach initiative that aims to make an impact on students to effect PET bottles recycling habits. The campaign consist of two contests, a Recycling Bin Design contest and PET Bottles Collection contest.
Recycling Bin Design Contest
- The selected schools will be provided a 120L recycling bin to design on and given $200 to purchase decorative materials.
- Commencement date: 8 October 2019
- Closing date: 30 October 2019
- Five winners with the best and most creative designs will receive an award at the SEC-StarHub School Green Awards 2019 on 12 November 2019. Winning schools will also receive $1000 each to further their school’s green initiatives.
- Submit up to 4 pictures of the designed bin
- A write up explaining students’ design with no more than 200 words
- Bin design should follow the contest’s theme of PET bottles recycling
- Design only on the exterior, including the lid.
- No lewd designs or inappropriate language.
- Suggested material: Acrylic paint, spray paint, stickers, cardboard, ribbons, wrapping paper etc.
- Designs can include materials on top of lid.
- No electrical modifications or devices to be attached.
- Do not cut through the bin or burn it.
|1. Creativity/Originality||Is the design creative and original?|
|2. Clarity of PET bottles recycling message||Is the message clear and easily understandable?|
|3. Impact||Is the design eye-catching and memorable?|
PET Bottles Collection Contest
- A 660L recycling bin will be provided to participating schools for the collection of PET bottles.
- How to win: The highest collection of PET bottles in relation to the school’s student population.
- Closing date: End-January 2020
- Collection date:
1. 18-22 November 2019
2. End-January 2020
Win a 3D2N trip to Malaysia for an exclusive peek into Coca-Cola’s bottling plant and experience first-hand how the issues of marine debris impact the coastal community on Pulau Ketam.
Come join us at the workshop to find out more about the contest. Gain insights from environmental experts from leading organisations such as Coca-Cola and SembWaste as they share more about their sustainability efforts!
Date: 24 October 2019
Venue: Coca-Cola office @ Keppel Bay Tower, 1 Harbourfront Avenue #04-04/07 Singapore 098632
Register your participation here by 22 October 2019
For any queries or clarifications, please email email@example.com or call 6433 5391